Friday, March 7, 2014

G is for ... Caring

G was voted to be the representative for his class for the Character quality of CARING.  Personally, I think this fits him perfectly.. he is such a caring kid.  I'm not sure where he gets it!! ;)

This is what his class and teacher said about him on the award:
     "Caring may be the most important trait a person can possess.  It is something you can show and feel everywhere.Everyone has this trait, but not everyone shows it. Garrett is such a caring person who shows it on a daily basis.  Throughout school, when adults are around or not, he demonstrates a caring attitude towards fellow students, adults, teachers, and objects that belong to everyone.  Garrett has a kind heart and makes all around him proud to call him a friend."

A mom's heart has to be happy hearing those things about her son.  And mine was!

so proud of him!

Principal, Mr. Strickland

Love how there was a good mixture of Boys and Girls!!


Caring as I See It...
One thing that I hold on to now is Garrett's caring attitude towards me in particular.  He is always there to give me hugs and kisses.  Sometimes it can be overwhelming or too much and I feel like he's hanging on me.. there's times where I need space.  But I have to remind myself that at any time he may not want to hug me in the presence of his friends. He still calls me "mommy", though it's less often.  He frequently does special things for me or helps with out being asked, especially with daddy gone right now.  It is easy to get used to this kind of treatment for sure!  And it makes it harder when he acts out or is grouchy.. i have to remind myself how normal that is for a 9 year old!!

Micah is silly!  He wanted to wink!!
Although I often get sweet compliments of how G acts in school or at a friends house.. I don't always get to see that.  You know .. they save their "most real selves" for home.  And honestly, he struggles in caring for his sister sometimes.  They are quite different... concrete vs free spirit at it's best!  They have great moments and not so great moments... and we try to work through those not so great ones (I'm hopeful someday lessons learned with his sister will be beneficial!)

This being said, he rarely has trouble caring for his little brother.  They are buds.  Micah misses his G when he's not there and G climbs in the van after school and gives Micah hugs first.  Sometimes it's too much for Micah and if he knew the word "suffocating"  he would use it correctly!!  
silly boys

I told Garrett I was very proud of him after the awards ceremony.  He said "I was sitting here trying to think of what I did to get this.  I'm not sure what I did.  I just am me."  ... and that is exactly why he got this.  Praying that his humble caring ways continue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment